Fava Bean ‘Hummus’
serves 4-6 people
3#s fava beans in their pods
juice of one lemon
¼ to ½ cup good quality olive oil
salt to taste
- Twist the pods in your hands to pop out the beans.
- Once the beans have been shelled you can discard the pods
- Fava’s contain a second thin skin that surrounds the bean this needs to be removed as well before cooking, otherwise the color will be a dull chartreuse instead of the bright vibrant sea green
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil (say about one cup of salt for a gallon of water) Also prepare a an ice bath
- Carefully add the half the fava’s into the water (use half so the water keeps boiling) cook the beans for about 45 seconds or until tender, remove from the water and go straight into the ice bath.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the beans.
- In a food processor or blender or mortal and pestle add the beans and lemon juice pulse for a few seconds,
- add about three tablespoons of the blanching water and pulse again,
- begin streaming the oil into the mix slowly allowing it to incorporate completely
- The mix should be silkly smooth and is ready to use at this point